Monday, July 30, 2012

Sweet Summer Corn: 2 Ways for Vegan Meals

Since I'll be visiting this nugget in Vancouver on Thursday for 5 days 
and have a fully loaded fridge of vegetables that I bought, hmm, over a week ago that desperately were crying out for some usage, Monday evening turned into make a freaking mess in the kitchen sort of night. Good thing I live alone. Sort of. 
"Hey Ma, I smell something awesome"


Well, I also have a friend who recently pledged that for August she's going to eat Pescaterrian (I don't even know how to spell that) but basically she's ditching the cows and pigs for something more like me and eating vegetarian plus some sea animals. She lit a fire under my ass to get her some recipes. And, when she was over at my house Saturday night and saw that at 2am I made Portabella Pizzas after drinking whiskey all night, there's really no excuse for not posting my creations. Anyways, here's...


Red Quinoa Corn Salad 
AND
Lentil, Corn, & Veggie Tacos. 
I cook 'em, you come up with better names. 

Lentil, Corn, & Veggie Tacos
serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 2 corn husks.
  • 1/2 bag of Trader Joe's Steamed Lentils (I go the easy route. If you don't have these, just cook about a cup of lentils).
  • 1/2 pound of baby bello mushrooms or any other shrooms you like. Makes the tacos "meatier"
  • 1 - 1/2 bags of fresh spinach (you don't need to use this much but I was trying to use shit in my fridge. Up to you).
  • Chili powder to taste.
  • Salt to taste.
  • About 3 seconds pour of EVOO.
  • 4 tortillas.

Directions:
  • In a big pot, throw your corn in some water and bring to boil, about 10 minutes. Just keep your eye on this. 
  • In a large pan pour in your olive oil and sauté your mushrooms. Season with salt.
  • Once cooked down, add in spinach gradually over medium-low heat.
  • By this time corn should be cooked. Don't burn your hand and cut off the husk and add in.
  • Add in lentils gently, not to mush down. 
  • Season with chili powder- I taste test, taste it so it tastes like tacos. Like, 1 tbsp or so. 
  • Stir, warm through, careful not to again mash or mush the lentils.
  • Serve in a warmed tortilla!
You can top with something like hummus (I chose TJ's horseradish hummus, it's like my drug) but if you're not vegan, a sour cream or greek yogurt would go nicely on top! The mushrooms & lentils add a great texture combined with the sweetness of the corn. This is a super filling meal that after just 1 taco you're full! But you can have more than 1 because hey, it's like all veggies. 


YUM!
 Next up... (you now picturing the state of my kitchen this evening?)

Red Quinoa Cold Corn Salad
serves 4


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup red quinoa
  • 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 cucumber, quartered
  • 2 corn husks, cut off the husks
  • 1/2 red pepper, diced (optional) *
  • 1 avocado, diced (optional) *
For the dressing:
  • Juice from 2 limes
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • cilantro to taste (everyone's preference on this varies, so I say, do what you like, yo!)
  • S & P to taste 
* I didn't have this in the kitchen but would have been tasty additions!



Directions:
  • Cook quinoa according to directions- 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water. Bring to boil then let simmer so all water is absorbed. Fork to fluff when done. Let cool!!
  • Cook corn to boil, about 10 minutes, slice off husk and let cool too. 
  • Chop/dice/slice veggies
  • Mix dressing w/ whisk or fork. 
  • Mix all together once corn & quinoa has cooled.
  • Eat right away or let marinate over night. Can be stored for 2-3 days in air tight container.
Did I mention this was SUPER EASY? The tangy dressing is delicious and perfect on a summer day/night. 




 I'm also a huge fan of left overs. Both meals since I manic-cooked tonight are going to last me until I leave on Thursday for lunches and dinners. La.di.da.





So, until next time. Because I'm going to be hipstering it out with my little sis in Vancouver for a bit. 










3 comments:

  1. Love that you posted about me and I'm totes inspired by your receipes, can't wait to try them!

    P.S. I'm obsessed with black bean burgers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Britt! Glad to know what you like. I'll make a note for next time!

      Delete
  2. I made a version of these lentil tacos today for lunch - SO yummy! Great with feta cheese on top, too!

    ReplyDelete